Lighting the wheelhouse and the Alligator eyes was a bit of a treat. As you can tell by the picture the blanks above the observation windows needed to be drilled and ground out with a Dremel moto tool so I could fit the small LEDs. The aqua green glow from the fibre optics is the transmitted light from a green LED. I learned the hard way on previous models was always test the lighting as I progressed.
Because of the era, I felt it fitting to use LEDs that produced a warm light rather than a cool or blue-white light. All the LEDs I used were all purchased pre-wired from a model train supplier.
Once I had the wheelhouse lighting and sub-assembly where I wanted it I put it aside to work on the main hull. As with all my resin kits, I always use a high-quality auto primer and primer filler which for convenience I buy in a rattle can. Unfortunately, with virtually any resin kit there will always be slight imperfections that need fixing. What I found with the kit I got was a minimum of pinholes and air bubble defects from casting. The worst was on the phosphoric atomisers. But these were easily fixed with a fine water-based filler.
The next part which I tackled was preparing the holes for the lighting around the main Salon windows and then attach all the cleats, bollards and hatches along with the laser cut timber flooring. That’s right it is real timber, and it is only as thick as four sheets of photocopy paper. It wasn’t cheap but boy it was worth every cent. Not content with the basic parts supplied to detail the wheelhouse I soldered up the internal stair rail and dividing rail. Remember we are talking HO scale here so the stair rail was another true test of my abilities, especially since the greater part of my soldering experience was attaching wires, resistors and small hobby circuit boards.
Now the more astute reader will notice that the skiff is already primed. I will cover the work on the skiff in part four. So once all the little extras were added I then went and primed the hull and outer wheelhouse structure. Once the primer was applied I waited a couple of days for it to completely dry. When I was satisfied the primer dried I started detailing the wheelhouse floor and added the wheel, the depth tube indicator and added some crew.